Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
On 21 November 2016, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania who has arrived in Moscow for celebration of the 70th birthday of the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Taking part in the meeting, which took place at the Patriarchal residence in St. Daniel’s Monastery, were also Metropolitan Nathanael of Amantia and Deacon Spyridon Topanxha who accompanied His Beatitude.
The Russian Orthodox Church was represented by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations (DECR); Bishop Flavian of Cherepovets and Belozersk; Archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR deputy chairman; Rev. Arseny Chernikin, head of the DECR language service; and Rev. Anatoly Churyakov, a DECR staff member.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill addressed the high guests, saying: “Dear brother, I greet you here, at the residence of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, with a special feeling and express my cordial gratitude to you for attending the celebration of my 70th birthday. You said today that we have been acquainted for forty-eight years. Being young people in 1968, we took part in the General Assembly of SYNDESMOS, the World Fellowship of Orthodox Youth, which role at that time was important. Since this meeting in Rattvik, Sweden, we often met at various international conferences. So many times when we had an opportunity to cooperate we managed to reach important compromises, particularly in drafting very difficult texts which helped to find common standpoints after hot discussions. Thus we, the Orthodox, have been witnessing our unity. I am grateful to God for our cooperation.”
His Holiness highly appreciated the role played by His Beatitude Anastasios in the revival of the Albanian Orthodox Church, which had been completely ruined during the time of atheist dictatorship. “You have exerted tremendous efforts for the Albanian hierarchs and priest to appear, for churches to be built, including the magnificent cathedral in Tirana,’ the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church underscored and continued to say: “I was your guest at the time when the wounds of persecution in Albania had not been healed on the body of the Church and saw your enthusiastic work. Time will never tell on you; your energy and mobility are almost the same as the used to be forty-eight years ago. I wish you spiritual and physical strength so that you can delight us with your active attitude to life and work for the good of the Church of Albania and of the Orthodox plenitude for many years.”
The Primate of the Albania Church expressed his gratitude for the great gift of friendship granted to us both by God. This friendship is like wine which becomes even better as the time passes. We have been maintaining special friendly relations though I am much older than you. I always felt at home at the meetings of the World Council of Churches and other conferences in which you took part. I was confident as I always knew that we would take common decision. Therefore I keenly felt you absence at the Council on Crete and expressed my regret.
‘The Lord has granted us the greatest miracle of faith thanks to which our Church has been preserved in spite of the harshest persecution. This faith is being good fruits,” His Beatitude Anastasios emphasized and added: “You have rightly noted our hard work in Albania. We were planning our missionary activity and I wrote many books, also about Russian missionaries, including the one about Metropolitan Innocent (Veniaminov). I wanted to write about missionaries and follow their example, and I did it in Albania. Your love has always been a great support to me, and I think that the presence of people in our life is more important than any book.’
His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania presented His Holiness Patriarch Kirill with the hand-made Blessing of the Waters silver cross specially manufactured for the 70th birthday of the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church.
His Holiness presented His Beatitude with liturgical vestments sewed for him, a crozier and a copy of the Patriarch’s collected writings in nine volumes. Metropolitan Nathanael received a crozier and book by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church consented to the proposal of Archbishop Anastasios to translate his Collected Works into the Albanian language for seminarians.
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow