His Holiness Patriarch Kirill consecrates Russian Necropolis in Belgrade
On 15 November 2014, His Holiness Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and His Holiness Patriarch Irinej of Serbia visited the Russian Necropolis in Belgrade, the largest burial place where Russian soldiers of the First World War repose.
The Primates laid flowers to the monument, and ‘Memory Eternal’ was sung.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill offered a prayer for the renovation of the chapel of the Iveron icon of the Mother of God in the territory of the cemetery. The chapel, in which Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky) is buried, was built in 1931 by the Russian emigrants in commemoration of the chapel of the same name located at the entrance to Moscow’s Red Square.
After Litia, which was celebrated for the soldiers who died during World War I, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill addressed the worshippers. He thanked all those who worked for the restoration of the memorial cemetery. This is a special place; this is the largest cemetery in Europe, where participants in the Great War are buried, and where the monument to the Emperor Nicholas II stands in spite of all difficult circumstances of the 20th century. He did not abandon the Serbian people and decided to enter the terrible war.
‘It is remarkable that the time has come when the heroes of this war are commemorated not only in Serbia, but in Russia as well. The monument to them was unveiled in Moscow this year.
‘This year marks the centenary of this war, and I am happy to see the renovated cemetery and thank all people who participated in the restoration of the necropolis, which a monument to heroism of Russian soldiers who had given their live for Faith, Tsar and Fatherland. This is also a remarkable monument to friendship and brotherhood of the Serbian and Russian people. While we keep and renovate the monuments, we renovate our historical memory and our feelings to each other. May the Lord bless Russia and Serbia, our people and our Churches.’
The Primates of the Russian and Serbian Churches laid flowers to the monument to the Serbian soldiers of World War I and sang ‘Memory Eternal.’
- 17.11.2014 10:13His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Serbian Orthodox Church on November 14-16
- 17.11.2014 01:28Reception given in honour of Patriarch Kirill in conclusion of his visit to Serbia
- 16.11.2014 21:21His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and His Holiness Patriarch Irinej bless monument to Tsar Nicholas II the Passion-Bearer in Belgrade
- 16.11.2014 20:14Primates of the Russian and Serbian Orthodox Churches celebrate at the Cathedral of St. Sabbas of Serbia
- 15.11.2014 23:01His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits exhibition ‘Russia and Serbia. History of Spiritual Relations’
- 15.11.2014 20:35His Holiness Patriarch Kirill consecrates Russian Necropolis in Belgrade
- 15.11.2014 17:37Primates of the Russian and Serbian Churches celebrate memorial service to the late Serbian patriarchs
- 15.11.2014 02:29Primates of Russian and Serbian Churches meet with head of Serbia’s Government, Mr. Aleksandar Vučić
- 15.11.2014 00:39Primates of Russian and Serbian Orthodox Churches meet with President of Serbia, Mr. Tomislav Nikolić
- 14.11.2014 18:55Degree of Doctor honoris causa is conferred on His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 14.11.2014 14:04His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia arrives in Belgrade
- 12.11.2014 09:24His Holiness Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbian Orthodox Church on 14-16 November