Prague’s Slavonic Library receives gift from Moscow Patriarchate
On 13 October 2014, archpriest Nikolai Lischenyuk, rector of the Representation of the Russian Orthodox Church in Karlovy Vary, handed over to Dr. Lukáš Babka, director of the Slavonic Library, a set of 34 volumes of the Orthodox Encyclopedia. The books were presented to the Slavonic Library by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
Among those present at the ceremony of handing over the gift were staff members of the Slavonic Library, faculty of the Charles University in Prague, scholars and figures of culture, as well as representatives of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia.
Dr. Lukáš Babka asked archpriest Nikolai Lischenyuk to convey his warm gratitude to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, under whose guidance the Orthodox Encyclopedia is being published, and expressed his hope for further fruitful cooperation with the Russian Orthodox Church.
The Slavonic Library was established in Prague in 1927 on the basis of library collections of the Institute of Slavic Studies and the National Museum, whose history might be traced back to 1818. The Slavonic Library also included the collection of the Russian Library established at the initiative of the Czech Government for immigrants from the Soviet Russia.
Today, the Slavonic Library possesses one of the largest book collections in the Czech Republic. It contains some eight hundred thousand volumes in all Slavonic languages. Its collection includes periodicals, fiction, as well as books on history, linguistics, philology, ethnography, political science, etc.