Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
July 23, 2013 – His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Holiness and Beatitude Iliya II, Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia, who leads a delegation of the Georgian Orthodox Church to the celebrations marking the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia.
In welcoming the guests, Patriarch Kirill shared his memories about the celebrations held 25 years ago to mark the Millennium of the Baptism of Russia, saying,
‘The Millennium celebrations made a beginning of the decline of atheistic rule not only in Russia but also in the countries historically bound up with her as part of the one state. That was followed by the revival of Orthodoxy in the Russian Federation, Ukraine, Byelorussia, Georgia and other countries in the post-Soviet space. So in some sense today’s anniversary is our common event as it marks 25 years since our Churches began to revive. This gives us an opportunity to thank the Lord for his mercy for us and to ask his forgiveness for what we have failed to achieve in these 25 years and to pray together that the further development of church life both in historical Russia and Georgia may be successful and conducive to the further initiation of the people to the Church as they need to find a spiritual support in Orthodoxy as strongly as never before.
‘We live at a difficult time of confrontations, temptations, absolutely anti-Christian ideologies which have found their way into the political life of both individuals and society. We are witnesses to the situation where borderlines between truth and falsehood, sin and holiness, are obliterated, where attempts are made to use laws to justify sin and lawlessness. We are faced with great tasks. When I say ‘we’, I mean the One Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church, united and indivisible. The boundaries between us are historical, not ecclesiological and for this reason we see in each other members of one Church, brothers in the service of the one episcopate of the Orthodox Church, which is called today to make special efforts for the consolidation of Orthodoxy’.
Patriarch-Catholicos Iliya, on his part, thanked for the invitation to come for the celebrations and said, ‘We have covered a difficult path, the part of the formation of our Church, the path of severe trials. We live in an era of globalization when many spiritual and cultural values seem to lose their power, but actually they save us and our peoples. Faith, hope and charity, our culture and literature – all this should be preserved so that our Churches and peoples could develop in the future’.
In a spirit of fraternal understanding, the sides discussed a wide range of issues including bilateral relations and common Orthodox cooperation.
After the talks, Patriarch Kirill presented the Primate of the Georgian Orthodox Church and members of his delegation with awards of the Russian Orthodox Church. His Holiness and Beatitude Iliya was awarded the Order of Glory and Honour, 1st degree, and Metropolitans Theodore, Gerasim and Dimitry and Archimandrite David and Vakhtang as well as Sister Alexander with the Order of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles, 3d degree.
Patriarch Iliya thanked the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church for the high awards and invited him to visit Georgia.
DECR Communication Service
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow