Patriarch Kirill lays flowers at monument to Stephan III the Great
In the evening of October 9, 2011, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia laid flowers at the monument to Stephan III the Great (Ștefan cel Mare), the founder of the Moldavian statehood, in Kishinev. His Holiness was accompanied by Metropolitan Vladimir of Kishinev and All Moldova.
The bronze monument to Stephan III the Great who ruled Moldavia from 1457 to 1504 was erected in 1927 and opened in a solemn ceremony in 1928. The metal for it had been given by the Romanian government. It was guns captured from the Turks during the 1877-1878 war of independence.
Twice, in 1940 and in 1944, the monument was transferred to Romania. It was finally returned to Kishinev in 1945 to become one of the first things to be restored in the post-war city.
Patriarchal Press Service/DECR Communication Service
- 10.10.2011 00:44Moldova’s prime minister informs Patriarch Kirill about construction of new cathedral in Kishinev
- 09.10.2011 21:02Patriarch Kirill lays flowers at monument to Stephan III the Great
- 09.10.2011 19:45Patriarch Kirill meets with Moldova’s acting president M. Lupu
- 09.10.2011 17:00Patriarch Kirill honoured with Moldova’s highest award
- 09.10.2011 16:00Patriarch Kirill honours memory of those who fell in action during Great Patriotic War for liberation of Moldova
- 09.10.2011 15:34Patriarch Kirill celebrates in central square in Kishinev
- 09.10.2011 02:29(Russian) Начался Первосвятительский визит Святейшего Патриарха Кирилла в Молдавию