Statement by Metropolitan Seraphim of Kythira and Antikythera (Greek Orthodox Church) on uncanonical actions of Patriarch of Constantinople in Ukraine
I have been deeply saddened when I heard about the breakup of church communion between the Moscow and Ecumenical Patriarchates. These sad and deplorable results have been caused by the Ecumenical Patriarchate’s persistence over the problem of granting autocephaly to the Ukrainian schismatics, who have separated themselves from our holy Orthodox Church, that is, from all the Orthodox Patriarchs and Local Autocephalous Orthodox Churches and who represent an overwhelming minority of the Ukrainian people.
Until recently, the Ecumenical Patriarchate recognised as canonical only the Ukrainian Orthodox Church led by Metropolitan Onufriy, but now it, for its own reasons, is to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian schismatics, thus ignoring the canonical order and the canonical Orthodox Ukrainian archdiocese recognized not only by the Russian Orthodox Churches but also by all the rest of Local Orthodox Churches.
The schismatics, as is known, are not a Church and it is forbidden by divine and holy canons and the Apostolic and Ecumenical Councils to be in communion with them. Why then this persistence and stubbornness of the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in recognizing the schismatics as an autocephalous Church? Is it to cause schisms and divisions in the One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church of Christ? Were not there enough emotions and troubles caused by the decisions of the so-called Holy and Great Council in Crete (June 2016), especially by naming non-Orthodox Christian confessions and communities as Churches?
And by its recent decision to allow a second marriage to the clergy under certain conditions, did not the Patriarch of Constantinople’s Synod ignore the so-called Holy and Great Council itself? Was it not stated In Par. 4 of the section on ‘Obstacles to Marriage’ in the final document of this council (of Crete, 2016 – ed.) that ‘priesthood in itself is not an obstacle to marriage, but, according to the canonical tradition in force (Fifth-Sixth Council of Trullo Canon 3), after consecration it is forbidden to enter upon marriage’?
From a remote corner of our homeland, Greece, from the adjacent region of Kythira and Antikythera further south, I ardently and heartily appeal to First-Throned Patriarch of our Orthodox Church, Bartholomew, to stop his course so that new schisms and divisions of the All-Holy Body of Christ and our Most Holy Orthodox Church may be avoided.
Instead of common prayers he has had of late with the Pope of Rome and leaders and representatives of non-Orthodox confessions and communities and even the non-Christians, which are not only useless but also creating a great temptation among the Orthodox Christian plenitude, the Patriarch should have preached repentance and return of the entire Orthodox Christian world to the faith once handed over by saints, to the teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ, the holy Apostles, the honorable and God-bearing fathers, to the Ecumenical Councils of our Church and to our Orthodox tradition as a whole.
From my heart I wish wisdom and vigilance to all the spiritual leaders of our Church so that the coming spiritual crisis may be stopped thus avoiding painful consequences for the unity of the most holy Orthodox flock of Christ. Because everybody knows the saying of St. John Chrysostom that ‘the sin of schism cannot be washed out even by the blood of martyrdom’.
- 17.10.2018 14:01Metropolitan Hilarion: The fact that the Patriarchate of Constantinople has recognized a schismatic structure means for us that it itself is now in schism
- 16.10.2018 09:37Patriarch Irinej of Serbia: Patriarchate of Constantinople has taken a decision to which it has no right
- 16.10.2018 09:19Metropolitan Hilarion: the Patriarchate of Constantinople has lost the right to be called the coordinating center for the Orthodox Church
- 16.10.2018 08:59Metropolitan Hilarion: Decisions taken by Constantinople run contrary to canonical Tradition of the Orthodox Church
- 16.10.2018 08:51Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk: Decision demanded by church canons was taken today
- 15.10.2018 20:12The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has considered it impossible to remain in the Eucharistic communion with the Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 15.10.2018 20:07Statement by the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church concerning the encroachment of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on the canonical territory of the Russian Church
- 15.10.2018 14:52Patriarch John X of Antioch and All the East calls for convocation of a Pan-Orthodox Council
- 12.10.2018 16:43Three hierarchs of Bulgarian Orthodox Church make statement on situation in Ukraine
- 08.10.2018 08:43Statement of the Holy Synod of Antioch Concerning the Current Developments in the Orthodox World
- 05.10.2018 15:55Primate of the Polish Orthodox Church calls upon His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew to convene inter-Orthodox synaxis to discuss the Ukrainian issue
- 02.10.2018 20:15Statement of the Holy Synod of the Estonian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate on the interference of His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople into the internal affairs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 02.10.2018 16:39Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk gives interview to Romfea
- 01.10.2018 20:43His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria and All Africa: Church does not bow down to politicians
- 01.10.2018 19:24Patriarch of Alexandria will inform all the Primates of the Local Orthodox Churches about the real ecclesial situation in Ukraine
- 30.09.2018 23:22Metropolitan Hilarion: Isolation need not to be feared
- 28.09.2018 19:32Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church holds its regular session
- 22.09.2018 19:14Primates of the Church of Alexandria and Polish Orthodox Church issue appeal concerning the situation of Orthodoxy in Ukraine
- 21.09.2018 10:35Bishop Irinej of Backa ‘On Inaccuracies of Ecclesial and Journalistic Statements on Ukraine’
- 18.09.2018 23:15Metropolitan Anthony of Borispol and Brovary: Sin must not be legitimized for the sake of some geopolitical or national issues
- 18.09.2018 14:30Statement by Metropolitan Seraphim of Kythira and Antikythera (Greek Orthodox Church) on uncanonical actions of Patriarch of Constantinople in Ukraine
- 14.09.2018 22:25Metropolitan Hilarion: The decision to suspend the liturgical mention of the Patriarch of Constantinople does not imply breaking off the Eucharistic communion
- 14.09.2018 22:00Holy Synod calls upon Primates of Local Orthodox Churches to initiate pan-Orthodox discussion on the church situation in Ukraine
- 14.09.2018 19:57Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev: Our Church has all attributes of independence
- 14.09.2018 14:51His Holiness Patriarch Kirill chairs extraordinary session of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 14.09.2018 10:35Polish Orthodox Church states that there must be no haste with regard to the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in order not to deepen the schism
- 12.09.2018 15:42Statement of the Synod of the Belarusian Orthodox Church (Belarusian Exarchate of the Moscow Patriarchate) issued on 11 September 2018
- 10.09.2018 14:52Statement by the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Abroad on the appointment of exarchs of the Constantinople Patriarchate to Kiev
- 08.09.2018 21:40Metropolitan Hilarion: Patriarch Bartholomew will bear personal responsibility before the judgement of God and the judgement of history
- 08.09.2018 21:33Metropolitan Hilarion: Current situation creates a threat of schism for Universal Orthodoxy
- 08.09.2018 14:15Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod Statement as of September 8, 2018
- 31.08.2018 20:10Fraternal meeting of Primates of Church of Constantinople and Russian Orthodox Church
- 31.08.2018 12:33Primates of Church of Constantinople and Russian Orthodox Church have begun their meeting