Patriarch Kirill chairs Supreme Church Council meeting
March 16, 2018 – His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia chaired a meeting of the Supreme Church Council at the Cathedral Church of Christ the Saviour in Moscow.
Opening the meeting, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church made introductory remarks about its agenda, which included the implementation of the supreme council’s resolutions and the 2017 Bishops’ Council and other decisions made by supreme church bodies in the period before the 2017 Bishops’ Council.
The membership of the Supreme Church Council is as follows:
- Metropolitan Varsonofiy of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, chancellor of the Moscow Patriarchate;
- Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate;
- Metropolitan Clement of Kaluga and Borovsk; chairman of the ROC Publishing Council;
- Metropolitan Arseniy of Istra, first vicar of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia for Moscow;
- Metropolitan Ioann of Belgorod and Stariy Oskol, head of the Synod Mission Department;
- Metropolitan Merkuriy of Rostov and Novocherkassk, head of the Synodal Department for Religious Education and Catechism;
- Metropolitan Mark of Ryazan and Mikhalovsk, head of the Financial and Economic Administration of the Moscow Patriarchate;
- Metropolitan Kirill of Stavropol and Nevinnomyssk, chairman of the Synodal Committee for Cooperation with the Cossacks;
- Archbishop Yevgeniy of Vereya, chairman of the Education Committee under the Holy Synod;
- Archbishop Feognost of Sergiev Posad, head of the Synodal Department for Monasteries and Monkhood;
- Archbishop Sergiy of Solnechnogorsk, director of the Administrative Secretariat of the Moscow Patriarchate;
- Archbishop Antoniy, head of the Moscow Patriarchate office for institutions abroad;
- Bishop Irinarkh of Krasnogorsk, head of the Synodal Department for Service in Prisons;
- Bishop Panteleimon of Orekhovo-Zuevo, head of the Synodal Department for Church Charity and Social Service;
- Bishop Tikhon of Yegoryevsk, chairman of the Patriarchal Council for Culture;
- Bishop Serafim of Lyubertsy, head of the Synodal Department for Youth;
- Archpriest Sergiy Privalov, head of the Synodal Department for Cooperation with the Armed Forces and Law Enforcement;
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov, chairman of the Patriarchal commission for the family, motherhood and childhood;
- Legoida, head of the Synodal Department for the Church’s Relations with Society and Mass Media.
The following persons were invited to attend the meeting: Bishop Nikolay of Balashikha, head and editor-in-chief of the Moscow Patriarchate Publishers; Bishop Savva of Voskresensk, first deputy chancellor of the Moscow Patriarchate; Archimandrite Savva (Tutunov), deputy chancellor of the Moscow Patriarchate; Archpriest Maxim Kozlov, first deputy head of the Education Committee; Sister Xenia (Chernega), head of the Moscow Patriarchate legal service; Hegumen Peter (Yeremeyev), rector of the Russian Orthodox University; and Archpriest Leonid Kalinin, head of the expert council for arts, architecture and restoration.
Patriarchal Press Service
DECR Communication Service