His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
On 22 July 2013, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada, who arrived in Moscow to participate in the celebration of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus. The meeting took place at the Patriarchal residence in St. Daniel’s Monastery.
His Beatitude was accompanied by Bishop Alexander of Toledo, chairman of the Department for External Relations and Inter-Church Relations of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA); archpriest John Jillions, OCA chancellor; archimandrite Alexander (Pihach), representative of the Orthodox Church in America to the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia; deacon Kirill Dotsenko, a cleric of the Moscow metochion of the Orthodox Church in America; and deacon Jesse Isaac, a cleric of the Archdiocese of Canada.
Also taking part in the meeting were Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations (DECR); Bishop Kliment of Krasnoslobodsk and Temnikov; archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Christian relations; and archpriest Georgy Roschin, representative of the World Russian People’s Council to the UN and a cleric of St. Nicholas Cathedral in New York.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill welcomed the guests and said that he considered His Beatitude Tikhon’s visit very important.
“Profound changes have occurred in the life of the Russian Orthodox Church and in the life of the Russian people for the last twenty-five years. Many people in Russia identify themselves with Orthodoxy. We can judge by the number of worshippers attending divine services, young people including. Many of them fast and partake of the Holy Communion regularly. However, the most important thing is that many people are finding motivation of their behaviour in Christian beliefs.
“We wish to pray together with the heads of the Local Orthodox Churches and thank God for his mercies to the Russian people. We also wish to pray to the Lord to bless our historical path. We face many problems as our Church is large, and there are many people living in our country. We would like our common prayer to give a new impetus to the advancement of our church life. The celebration will be held in Moscow, Kiev, and Minsk – the three capital cities, the inheritors of Holy Rus. It is important to us to hold the celebration in such a way so that will be a new stimulus for spiritual development.”
His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon thanked the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church for hospitality and added that ‘challenges face Orthodoxy throughout the world, and in North America we also face challenges.’ He thanked His Holiness for assistance and wise counsel during difficulties that the Orthodox Church in America has experienced recently.
Discussed at the meeting were bilateral relations and general Orthodox topics. Both Primates expressed their concern over the threats to the presence of Christian in Syria and in the Middles East. Special concern was expressed over long captivity of Metropolitan Paul of Aleppo ((Patriarchate of Antioch) and Metropolitan Mar Gregorios Johanna Ibrahim (Syrian Orthodox Church) abducted by terrorists.
The Orders of the Holy Prince Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles were granted to His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada (1st class), to Bishop Alexander of Toledo (2nd class), to archimandrite Alexander (Pihach), deacon Kirill Dotsenko and deacon Jesse Isaac (3rd class).
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow