Primates of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem and Russian Orthodox Church celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
On 11 November 2012, at night, His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos III of the Holy City of Jerusalem and All Palestine and His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia celebrated the Divine Liturgy at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
In the evening of 11 November, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill led the prayerful procession from the Jaffa Gate of the Old City to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos, accompanied by bishops and clergymen, joined the procession at the Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
Concelebrating with the Primates of the two Churches were hierarchs of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem: Metropolitan Isyhios of Capitoliad, Metropolitan Timotheos of Vostra, Archbishop Dorotheos of Avila, Archbishop Aristarchus of Constantine, Archbishop Theophylactos of Jordan, and Archbishop Theophanis of Gerash; and members of the delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church: Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Bishop Sergy of Solnechnogorsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s administrative secretariat; Archbishop Mark of Berlin, Germany and Great Britain, first deputy President of the ROCOR’s Synod of Bishops; and also Archbishop Alexander of Pereyaslavl-Khmelnitsky and Vishnevoye.
The Litany was said for the repose of the soul of recently deceased Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria.
After the Liturgy, Patriarch Theophilos addressed all those present, saying in particular: This common celebration of the Divine Liturgy by the two Patriarchs gives us perfect joy in this world. This celebration is a confirmation and pledge of our hope for drinking the new vine “in My Father’s kingdom” (Mt 26:29).
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill thanked His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos and said:
“…The Russian Orthodox Church owes much to the Holy City. From the earliest times numerous Russian pilgrims have been coming here, to the Holy Sepulchre, to the Holy Jerusalem. It was from you that we have received our liturgical order, and liturgical life of the Russian Church has been carried out according to the rules of St Sabbas the Sanctified and of other holy zealots the of ancient Palestinian monasteries. This Church of the Holy Resurrection, in which we have celebrated the Divine Liturgy today, has always been one of the most venerated Churches in Russia…
As the Primate of the Russian Church, I am grateful for this opportunity to venerate the shrines of Jerusalem. I thank you, Your Beatitude, for the invitation, for our joint brotherly prayer, and for your warm hospitality…
I prayerfully wish Your Beatitude that God may strengthen you in your primatial ministry, and I wish that God may grant His abundant grace and His spiritual gifts to the flock of the Church of Jerusalem.”
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill concluded his address with the Paschal greeting “Christ is Risen!”
- 15.11.2012 00:32Patriarch Kirill: Visiting the Holy Land makes a great spiritual impact on one’s life
- 15.11.2012 00:19Patriarch Kirill meets with King Abdullah II bin al-Hussein of Jordan
- 14.11.2012 18:03Patriarch Kirill visits the Greek Monastery of St. John the Baptist on the Jordan River
- 14.11.2012 13:26His Holiness Patriarch Kirill blesses waters on the Jordan River
- 14.11.2012 12:38(Russian) В Русском доме паломника на берегу Иордана состоялся прием в честь Предстоятеля Русской Церкви
- 14.11.2012 03:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill arrives in the Pilgrim’s Centre on Jordan River
- 14.11.2012 03:15His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Tiberias in the course of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 14.11.2012 02:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Jerusalem and Russia have a talk in Nazareth
- 14.11.2012 02:17Patriarch Kirill visits Church of Annunciation in Nazareth
- 13.11.2012 17:22Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church visits Monastery of Transfiguration on Mount Tabor
- 13.11.2012 00:11Patriarch Kirill prays at the grave of Archimandrite Antonin (Kapustin)
- 12.11.2012 23:50Patriarch Kirill visits Convent of St. Mary Magdalene in Jerusalem
- 12.11.2012 22:49Patriarch Kirill honours the memory of victims of fascism in Yad Vashem Memorial in Jerusalem
- 12.11.2012 22:35Primate of Russian Church consecrates cathedral of the Gorny Convent in Jerusalem
- 12.11.2012 05:01His Holiness Patriarch Kirill donates bells to the Church of St. John the Baptist in Jaffa
- 12.11.2012 04:25Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meet with Mayor of Jerusalem, Nir Barkat
- 12.11.2012 02:01His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Shimon Peres, President of the State of Israel
- 12.11.2012 01:46(Russian) Святейший Патриарх Кирилл: История засвидетельствовала любовь людей Святой Руси к Иерусалимской Церкви
- 12.11.2012 01:44His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ in Hebrew is presented in Jerusalem
- 11.11.2012 22:56Patriarch Kirill meets with Israel’s Chief Rabbi Yona Metzger
- 11.11.2012 22:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Israel’s Chief Rabbi Shlomo Moshe Amar
- 11.11.2012 10:01Primates of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem and Russian Orthodox Church celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- 11.11.2012 06:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill officiates at All-Night Vigil at the Cathedral of the Trinity in Jerusalem
- 11.11.2012 03:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: I always pray to the Lord to grant well-being and peace to the Palestinian people
- 11.11.2012 00:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Mr. Mahmoud Abbas, President of the Palestinian National Authority
- 10.11.2012 18:36Primate of Russian Orthodox Church visits Basilica of the Nativity of Christ in Bethlehem
- 10.11.2012 16:33(Russian) Святейший Патриарх Кирилл посетил Гробницу Божией Матери в Гефсимании
- 10.11.2012 00:13(Russian) Состоялась встреча Предстоятелей Русской и Иерусалимской Православных Церквей
- 10.11.2012 00:05(Russian) Святейший Патриарх Кирилл и Блаженнейший Патриарх Иерусалимский Феофил посетили Храм Воскресения Христова в Иерусалиме
- 08.11.2012 06:06His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s visit to the Patriarchate of Jerusalem on 9-14 November