Metropolitan Hilarion prays for repose of Russian compatriots in Paraguay
On July 1, 2011, in the course of his official visit to Paraguay for the 200th anniversary of its independence, Metropolitan Hilarion, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s department for external church relations, visited the Russian Cemetery in Asuncion.
He was accompanied by Metropolitan Platon of Argentina and South America, Mr. S. Reschikov, Russia’ charge d’affaires in Paraguay, Mr. D. Kravtsov, director of the Russian Federal Agency for Cooperation representation, and members of his delegation.
They honoured the memory of the dead Russian emigrants and said the Office for the Dead.
In the 30s of the 20th century, the Russian part of the largest cemetery in Asuncion became the burial place for Russian officers killed in the Chaco War. Among the Russian emigrants buried there is the first rector of the church of the Protecting Veil in the Paraguayan capital, Archimandrite Porfiry (Biryukov).
DECR Communication Service
- 05.07.2011 09:59Metropolitan Hilarion concludes his visit to Paraguay
- 04.07.2011 17:12Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk celebrates Divine Liturgy in Paraguayan capital
- 04.07.2011 15:56DECR chairman meets with Russian expatriates at the Russian Church Outside Russia’s church of the Assumption in Asuncion
- 04.07.2011 11:00DECR chairman visits the Paraguayan Catholic University
- 02.07.2011 11:33Metropolitan Hilarion prays for repose of Russian compatriots in Paraguay
- 02.07.2011 09:51Metropolitan Hilarion meets with President of Paraguay
- 02.07.2011 09:42DECR chairman meets with Paraguay’s vice-president
- 01.07.2011 10:54Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk begins his visit to Paraguay