First volume of the English edition of “Orthodox Christianity” by Metropolitan Hilarion is presented in New York
On 6 February 2011, the first volume of Metropolitan Hilarion’s book Orthodox Christianity in the English language was presented at St. Nicholas Cathedral in New York. Taking part in the presentation were His Beatitude Jonah. Archbishop of Washington and Metropolitan of All America and Canada, the Primate of the Orthodox Church in America; Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations (DECR); Archbishop Justinian, administrator of the Patriarchal parishes in the USA; Bishop Melchizedek of Pittsburg and Western Pennsylvania (Orthodox Church in America); faculty and students of St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary.
Archpriest John Behr, Dean of St. Vladimir’s Seminary, presented the book and its author to the guests. He told them about major stages of theological work of the DECR chairman, noting its topicality to the English-speaking readers. He also said that Metropolitan Hilarion’s books are remarkable for their high quality and professionalism and at the same time by simple and understandable even to non-church people, as they are addressed not only to a narrow circle of theologians and church historians, but also to those who are just getting acquainted with the world of Orthodoxy.
Archpriest Chad Hartfield, the chancellor of St. Vladimir’s Seminary, and Theodore Bazil, director of St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press that has published the book, addressed the audience.
The first of many volumes of the DECR chairman’s work has been published by Saint Vladimir’s Seminary Press, the largest publisher of Orthodox Christian book in the English language. Among its pioneers are the renowned Orthodox theologians of the 20th century, Protopresbyters Alexander Schmemann and John Meiendorff. Metropolitan Hilarion and Saint Vladimir’s Seminary Press have cooperated for many years. In 2009, SVS Press published Metropolitan Hilarion’s book Christ the Conqueror of Hell.
- 14.02.2011 04:09Metropolitan Hilarion concelebrates Divine Liturgy with Primate of the Orthodox Church in America at St. Seraphim Cathedral in Dallas
- 14.02.2011 04:07Lecture at the Highland Park a Presbyterian Church in Dallas
- 14.02.2011 01:03(Russian) Состоялся ужин по случаю приезда митрополита Илариона в Даллас
- 13.02.2011 12:52HAVE SALT AMONG YOURSELVES. Lecture at Dallas Seminary, February 12, 2011
- 13.02.2011 12:52DECR chairman visits Dallas Theological Seminary
- 11.02.2011 22:03(Russian) Митрополит Иларион встретился c экс-президентом США Джорджем Бушем-младшим
- 11.02.2011 22:02(Russian) Председатель ОВЦС встретился с группой религиозных деятелей США
- 11.02.2011 21:34Metropolitan Hilarion visits US Library of Congress
- 11.02.2011 21:00(Russian) Председатель ОВЦС встретился с Послом России в США
- 10.02.2011 20:44Metropolitan Hilarion reads a lecture at the Catholic University of America
- 10.02.2011 20:38Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Special Assistant to US President
- 09.02.2011 10:47Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Russia’s representative to the UN
- 08.02.2011 17:12DECR chairman meets with UN Under-Secretary-General
- 07.02.2011 22:07First volume of the English edition of “Orthodox Christianity” by Metropolitan Hilarion is presented in New York
- 06.02.2011 13:00Metropolitan Hilarion gives Schmemann Lecture at St Vladimir’s Seminary in New York
- 06.02.2011 12:59THEOLOGY OF ICON IN THE ORTHODOX CHURCH. Lecture at St. Vladimir’s Seminary, 5 February 2011
- 06.02.2011 11:01Metropolitan Hilarion meets in New York with First Hierarch of the Russian Church Outside Russia
- 05.02.2011 10:28(Russian) Начался визит председателя ОВЦС в США