Patriarch Bartholomew visits Hermitage, Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan and Church of the Saviour-on-the-Blood in St. Petersburg
On May 29, 2010, the Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia and the Patriarchate of Constantinople delegation including Metropolitan Michael of Austria, Metropolitan Irinaios of Myriofytos and Peristasis, Metropolitan Emmanuel of France, Archimandrite Elpidophoros (Lambridianis), chief secretary of the Patriarchate of Constantinople Holy Synod, Archimandrite Vissarion (Komzias), Archdeacon Maxim (Vgenopoulos) and others, together with Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s department for external church relations, went by water from Kronstadt to St. Petersburg.
On the English Embankment, they were met by Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, and Bishops Ambrose of Gatchina and Nazariy of Vyborg.
Patriarch Bartholomew and his delegation together with Metropolitan Hilarion and Bishop Ambrose who accompanied them proceeded to the Hermitage, where an excursion was arranged for them in this world-renowned museum.
In the Honored Guests Book, His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew wrote, “I am amazed at the famous exhibits and warmly thank for the excellent excursion. We have again come to this renowned museum. I wish the city and people in St. Petersburg every blessing from God” and signed “With warmth for you in the Lord, intercessor Patriarch Bartholomew”.
After that Patriarch Bartholomew visited the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan. He was welcomed at the entrance by Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, Bishop Nazariy of Vyborg and the cathedral clergy.
Patriarch Bartholomew bowed before the venerated copy of the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan, which was given to Peter I in 1703 during the construction of the city and placed in the Kazan Cathedral its construction was completed.
The choir sang the hymn “To you as Champion unto victory…” to the Mother of God, and the Greek delegation sang the same hymn in Greek.
The rector of the cathedral, Archpriest Pavel Krasnotsvetov, greeted Patriarch Bartholomew, saying, “Your Holiness, Archbishop Bartholomew of Constantinople and the New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, allow me to welcome you to the cathedral and to thank God for having worked a great miracle, the return of the unity of the Orthodox in peace, love, and the spirit of friendship. Christian unity is important today. The world lies in evil, and the Orthodox Church brings the truth to this world.
“The country of Russia has shaken off the yoke of 70 year-long Babylon-like captivity in a false teaching which tempted the ordinary Russian people. Now we enjoy a free opportunity to restore churches, to pray in them and to thank God for having prevented the death of His Church: the gates of hell have failed to overcome it”.
Father Pavel told His Holiness Bartholomew about the construction and decoration of the church and about its shrines. In conclusion of his address he said,
“Your Holiness, we are glad to see you and your fellow-travelers and to greet you on the occasion of the recent Day of the Holy Trinity. When you served together with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow, our hearts rejoiced in the fact that the Patriarch of Constantinople was with us in those holy days. “Is polla eti, Despota! Many years of life to you!”
The Primate of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople, in his address to Metropolitan Vladimir and the congregation, said:
“Your Eminence Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, beloved concelebrants, dear children in Christ, I thank God who has vouchsafed to bring me again, after 17 years, to this heroic city. I call this city heroic because we know how much it endured, how much it suffered during the Second World War. During my previous visit to St. Petersburg, the present Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia was our guide. We know that he comes from this city; therefore this city has the full right to be proud of its child. Through our common efforts together with His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, we opened last year a new page in our relations and his invitation and our present visit to the Russian Church are proofs of this new page in our relations.
“We thank His Eminence Metropolitan Vladimir, and since he has recently celebrated his birthday, we wish him long life and many years of fruitful pastoral ministry.
“And upon you all we invoke the grace and intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God. Keep the Orthodox faith as you kept it in hard times. I wish you to remain faithful to your chief pastor, the Most Reverend Metropolitan Vladimir, your Patriarch and to your Church.
In conclusion, I would like to convey to you a blessing of the holy Church of Constantinople”.
Metropolitan Vladimir greeted the high guest in his turn, saying,
“Thank you, Your Holiness, for having undertaken the great effort to come to our northern capital and to pray and to see our churches and monasteries. When we received this cathedral we had to restore it since it had been used as a museum of the history of atheism. We had also to revive worship services and traditions anew. On major feast days this cathedral accommodates 4500 worshippers.
“I recall the words of one writer, who said, ‘Go and tell all that Russia is alive!’ and you are a witness to the fact that we have survived a powerful anti-religious campaign to pray and to life church life again.
“Thank you for your visit and thank you for your primatial blessing. We hope that you will remember us in your prayers. We thank you, Your Holiness, for having made this effort to come to this cathedral and to several churches so that you may have now a fuller idea of how we live and pray”.
Patriarch Bartholomew saw the interior of the Kazan Cathedral, paying special attention to the grave of Field-Marshall Mikhail Kutuzov, a famous Russian military leader.
Then the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople proceeded to the Cathedral of the Saviour-on-the-Blood to see its unique mosaics and the place where Emperor Alexander II was assassinated. In the sanctuary dedicated to the Holy Resurrection, the Constantinople delegation sang the Easter troparion in Greek.
DECR Communication Service
- 31.05.2010 11:34His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople completes his visit to the Russian Orthodox Church
- 30.05.2010 23:53(Russian) В Екатерининском дворце Царского Села Предстоятель Русской Православной Церкви дал прием в честь Святейшего Патриарха Константинопольского Варфоломея
- 30.05.2010 15:32(Russian) Святейшие Патриархи Варфоломей и Кирилл посетили историческое здание Синода в Санкт-Петербурге
- 30.05.2010 13:02Primates of Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at St. Isaac’s Cathedral in St. Petersburg
- 29.05.2010 23:28Reception in honour of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople and Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia at St. Alexander Nevsky’s Laura
- 29.05.2010 21:21Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople lifts up prayer at St. Alexander Nevsky’s Laura
- 29.05.2010 20:05Patriarch Bartholomew visits Hermitage, Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan and Church of the Saviour-on-the-Blood in St. Petersburg
- 29.05.2010 13:51Primates of Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia visit St. Nicholas’ Naval Cathedral in Kronstadt
- 28.05.2010 17:15(Russian) Святейший Патриарх Константинопольский Варфоломей посетил скиты Спасо-Преображенского Валаамского монастыря
- 28.05.2010 12:13(Russian) Вселенский Патриарх молился за Божественной литургией в Валаамском Спасо-Преображенском монастыре
- 27.05.2010 20:51Patriarch Bartholomew arrives at Valamo Monastery of the Transfiguration
- 27.05.2010 12:40His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople arrives in St. Petersburg
- 27.05.2010 11:48Primate of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople departs for St. Petersburg
- 27.05.2010 11:38His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew completes his stay in Moscow by visiting the Church of “The Joy to All the Afflicted” Icon of the Mother of God
- 27.05.2010 10:31(Russian) Святейший Патриарх Варфоломей посетил Посольство Турецкой Республики в Москве
- 26.05.2010 23:40(Russian) Предстоятель Константинопольской Православной Церкви посетил Посольство Греции в Москве
- 26.05.2010 21:35Primate of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople visits Moscow Representation of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem
- 26.05.2010 20:09Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople says prayer for the repose of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia’ soul
- 26.05.2010 18:43(Russian) Состоялась встреча Предстоятеля Константинопольской Православной Церкви с представителями греческой общины России и стран СНГ
- 26.05.2010 17:19(Russian) Святейший Патриарх Константинопольский Варфоломей посетил Антиохийское подворье в Москве
- 26.05.2010 16:04(Russian) В ходе визита в Русскую Православную Церковь Святейший Патриарх Константинопольский Варфоломей посетил Покровский монастырь в Москве
- 26.05.2010 15:13(Russian) Предстоятель Константинопольской Православной Церкви встретился с мэром Москвы Ю.М.Лужковым
- 26.05.2010 13:07(Russian) Святейший Патриарх Константинопольский Варфоломей посетил Свято-Димитриевское училище сестер милосердия
- 26.05.2010 11:27Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople visits Trinity Cathedral at St. Daniel’s monastery
- 26.05.2010 11:17THE WORLD AS SACRAMENT The Theological and Spiritual Vision of Creation: His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew
- 26.05.2010 11:15Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople visits Department for External Church Relations and gives lecture to students of Sts Cyril and Methodius Post-Graduate School
- 26.05.2010 09:13Delegations of Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia hold talks
- 25.05.2010 16:01Primates of Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia meet with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev
- 25.05.2010 13:59Primate of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople venerates relics in the Moscow Kremlin cathedrals
- 24.05.2010 22:01Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia attend concert in the State Kremlin Palace on the Day of Slavonic Literature and Culture
- 24.05.2010 18:06Patriarchs Bartholomew and Kirill visit Church Councils Hall and Church of Christ the Saviour’s museum
- 24.05.2010 15:09Primates of Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia address participants in opening of Days of Slavonic Literature and Culture
- 24.05.2010 13:10(Russian) Слово Святейшего Патриарха Московского и всея Руси Кирилла за Божественной литургией в Храме Христа Спасителя 24 мая 2010 года
- 24.05.2010 13:03Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia celebrate on the Day of the Holy Spirit
- 23.05.2010 19:14His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople visits the Moscow Representation of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 23.05.2010 16:02His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople honoured the memory of the late Patriarchs Alexy I and Pimen
- 23.05.2010 16:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: May God grant us that no human circumstances ever destroy the main thing in Orthodoxy – our unity in Holy Communion
- 23.05.2010 13:31Patriarchs Bartholomew and Kirill gave blessing to the pilgrims from the balcony of the Patriarchal residence in the Laura of the Hoy Trinity and St Sergius on the day of the Holy Trinity
- 23.05.2010 13:20(Russian) Слово Святейшего Патриарха Константинопольского Варфоломея в Успенском соборе Свято-Троицкой Сергиевой Лавры
- 23.05.2010 13:00Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Constantinople and Russia celebrate in the Laura of the Holy Trinity and St. Sergius on Pentecost
- 22.05.2010 17:00His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople arrived on a visit to the Russian Orthodox Church
- 19.05.2010 14:59His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to visit the Russian Orthodox Church on 22-31 May 2010